Sunday, April 27, 2008

a cry for easy, yet healthy recipes

Scott and I have started to realize how unhealthy we eat. Even though I have taken a cooking class, recipes are so intimidating to me, unless it's for caramels. It's so hard for me to expand what I know. So we tend to get quick meals that aren't so healthy. We know that we need to change if we don't want to end up with heart disease down the road. My parents have always given me healthy food, but I never had to do the shopping for it or find the recipes. I have to tell you, it's so intimidating to me. But today, I've started gaining knowledge on the different vitamins and foods we need. I found a weight watchers cookbook for $6 at half price books, so I'm attempting to try some of it, however, it's still intimidating to me. So Please oh Please, send me your favorite, yet quick and healthy recipes if you have anything. And please help me with this planning thing.

3 comments:

Chuck & Tristan said...

Hi, April. Happy B-day a little late. We are somewhat forced to eat healthier than we probably would otherwise due to Shaye's gluten-free diet. Do you have a vegetable steamer. I love ours, it's easy to make yummy veggies and is supposed to be healthier than boiling them which supposedly removes a lot of the nutrients.

kellyH said...

I picked up this book in anticipation of pregnancy...however, it ended up being an incredibly useful source of information for healthy eating that could apply to anyone. I started incorporating small changes into our diet even before I was pregnant - such as grilled chicken instead of breaded patties, whole grain pasta, and learning more ways to incorporate fruits & veggies into more things. So I would highly recommend checking it out - though you'll want to hide the cover from nosy people. :) hope that helps...
(FYI - I first checked it out at the library before I bought it)
"What to expect - eating well when you're expecting" by Heidi Murkoff.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Expect-Eating-Youre-Expecting/dp/0761133267/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220881380&sr=8-5

Michelle G. said...

A cookbook I like with an emphasis on both fast and healthy is "Saving Dinner" by Leanne Ely. She breaks the recipes down into weeks (and provides a shopping list for the whole week's dinners). I've never done her whole week, but I've enjoyed several of the recipes.